The site went offline a few hours today. Sorry. It turns out Ubuntu once again changed a major component and the upgrade path didn’t work as it should to keep the lights on after the upgrade. I’ve been updating the security settings on the server all around, and one of the things I wanted to do was adding TLSv1.3 support (and nothing before TLSv1.2). For that I needed, it seemed the best option to push forward the Ubuntu server version to the newer LTS version (18.
The web is constantly changing and sometimes sites are deleted as the business or people behind it moves on. Recently we removed a few sites as we were doing maintenance and updates on the many sites we run at work. Some of them had interesting content - for personal or professional reasons, and we wanted to make a static copy of the sites before deleting the sites completely. I have not found any easy, simple and well-working software, which can produce and an all-inclusive downloaded copy of a website (including all resources sourced from CDNs and 3rd party sites (to actually make them browsable offline).
My little server ran into an issue, and started reporting the error: No space left on device No worries, lest figure out which disk has full and clean up… Using the df command with the -h (for human-readable output) it should be easy to find the issue: root@server:~# df -h Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on udev 483M 0 483M 0% /dev tmpfs 100M 3.1M 97M 4% /run /dev/vda 20G 9.
I’ve switched nameservers for all my domains yesterday. During the past many years I’ve been free-riding on GratisDNS and enjoying their free DNS service (and luckily never needed support in their forums). Yesterday I switched to Cloudflare and I’m using them for DNS for this (and other domains). I don’t have any particular requirements, and the switch was mostly easy and automated to the extent possible. Two domains went smooth, but the last my mahler.
It’s been quiet here for a while, but be things have been happening behind the scenes. In case your wondering the site (and surroundings) have been seeing a number of updates which eventually may make it into separate posts. I’m running on a Digital Ocean droplet. It was provisioned as an Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, which is dead by now (as in no more updates including security updates). The server has now been roll up to an Ubuntu 16.