Going from one CMS to another can be huge challenge - especially as I wanted the various pieces I’ve managed to bring along from the past 20 years along (content from the first years of the site is sadly lost over time). Getting content out of Wordpress Getting content out of Wordpress is quite easy. It has a built-in export function and while it took some time, resulting in a large zip file.
This site has been running for 20+ years. Most of the years I’ve been using wordpress to post occasionally and have fun messing around. Wordpress have been a moving target and gained more features through the years. Far more than I ever needed, and to keep simple I’ve decided to move to a simpler setup using the HugoCMS. Getting to here One of the benefits of Hugo is, that it’s easy to have it running locally and rapidly let you see changes and update you make to hugo configuraion, themes and content - and I’ve even used it across Linux and MacOS during migation.
It seems a lot of people have already written a lot on the etiquette of video meetings, so in this little post, I’ll try to contribute with some of the technical tips which doesn’t seem to be covered as much. Network connection While wifi seem to work fine mostly, it can cause issues. If you have the option to use a wired connection for you device used for videomeetings, do so.
From time to time my Mac is doing stuff which takes quite awhile. Converting images, converting videofiles between formats or other stuff, which may take a long time (but reasonable predictable). In those cases I run a little command in the terminal, to automatically shut down the Mac upon completion: sudo shutdown -h +120 This command sets a timer which shutdown the machine after two hours (the 120 parameters being after 120 minutes).
I’ve been having an odd issue for a couple of months. When accessing sites having a .dev domain (like most recently go.dev), I my browsers have given me warnings and as many had HSTS-headers, not allowed me to visit the site. It seemed like a strange error, and I’ve tried to remember if I’ve set up some proxy or VPN connection, that could cause this issue. A few times I’ve asked others on the net if they had issues - which was not the case - and I’ve tried using a web proxy, and everything worked.